This simple stew tastes totally gourmet, and is a snap to prepare -- your slow cooker does most of the work! This recipe yields enough to feed a very satisfied army!
INGREDIENTS (for 1 servings):
- 3 pounds beef stew meat
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 (14 ounce) cans beef broth
- 1 (10.5 ounce) can condensed beef consomme
- 2 cups Burgundy wine
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard seed
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 5 red potatoes, cut into chunks
- 1/2 pound baby carrots
- 1/2 pound pearl onions, peeled
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch (optional)
- 1 tablespoon water (optional)
Season the beef with salt and pepper, and place in a skillet over medium heat. Cook until evenly brown, and drain.
In a slow cooker, mix the beef broth, condensed beef consomme, wine, water, mustard, and thyme. Place beef into the liquid, and stir in the potatoes, carrots, and onions.
Cover, and cook 6 hours on Low or 4 hours on High. If you prefer a thick stew, mix the cornstarch and water together and stir into the slow cooker about 30 minutes before the end of the cooking time. Stir occasionally until thickened.