For a hearty tomato sauce with a definite zing to it, saute ground beef with a generous mix of oregano, basil, thyme and rosemary, then cook with tomatoes, vinegar, bell peppers, Worcestershire, soy and hot pepper sauce. Toss with hot pasta, and serve.
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 1 2/3 pounds lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup Italian seasoning
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans whole peeled tomatoes, sliced
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 10 drops hot pepper sauce
- 3 cups tomato sauce
- 1 (16 ounce) package penne pasta
In a large Dutch oven over high heat add chopped beef, vinegar, chopped onion, and Italian seasoning. Stir until brown. Add the sliced tomatoes, tomato paste, and chopped green bell pepper, and stir. Reduce heat to medium and cook for 15 minutes.
Stir in the Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, and hot pepper sauce. Stir in the tomato sauce. Allow mixture to simmer for 10 minutes.
While sauce simmers cook penne pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until al dente. Drain well.
Add warm pasta to sauce and toss well. Let stand for 15 minutes to allow maximum blending of flavors. Serve hot.