This Indian snack food made with sago is a traditional favorite, often enjoyed during periods of fasting.
INGREDIENTS (for 2 servings):
- 1 cup dry sago
- 1/4 cup ghee
- 2 green chile peppers, chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 tablespoons coarsely ground peanuts
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh coconut
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro (optional)
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt (optional)
In a bowl, soak the sago 8 hours, or overnight, in enough water to cover.
Melt the ghee in a large saucepan over medium heat. Reduce heat to low, and mix in the green chile peppers and cumin seeds. Cook and stir until browned.
Stir the sago, peanuts, and coconut into the saucepan. Over medium heat, cook and stir about 10 minutes, until sago is crisp. Mix in the sugar and salt. Top with yogurt, and garnish with cilantro to serve.