This salad is a work of art with assorted gourmet greens, toasted walnuts, and a rich walnut dressing. Phase 1 dieters never had it so good.
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup defatted reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons tarragon vinegar or white-wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons walnut oil or extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 16 cups washed, dried and torn mixed greens, such as escarole, chicory and/or radicchio
In a small dry skillet over low heat, stir walnuts until lightly toasted, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate to cool.
In a large salad bowl, whisk together chicken broth, vinegar, oil, shallots, mustard, salt and pepper. Add greens and toss thoroughly. Sprinkle with the walnuts and additional black pepper to taste.