This simple salad of romaine lettuce, ripe cherry tomatoes, red onion and tangy feta cheese is topped with a delectable lemon garlic dressing for a refreshing accompaniment to any Mediterranean or Middle Eastern meal.
INGREDIENTS (for 9 servings):
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- salt to taste
- 2 1/2 cups lemon juice
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 large head romaine lettuce - rinsed, dried, and torn into bite-size pieces
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
In a mortar and pestle, crush the garlic. Add the pepper and salt and continue mashing until mixture becomes a thick paste. Transfer to a jar along with the lemon juice and canola oil. Shake well.
In a large bowl, toss together the lettuce, tomatoes and onion. Just before serving, add the cheese and just enough dressing to coat. (There will be extra dressing, but it keeps well.) Toss well.