A wonderful 'Heart of Texas' salad that makes a great meal! Seasoned ground beef, iceberg lettuce, tomatoes, pinto beans are just starters!
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 head iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 1 (15.5 ounce) can pinto beans
- 2 tomatoes, cubed
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 (12 ounce) package corn tortilla chips, broken
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped (optional)
- 1/2 cup chopped green onion (optional)
- 1 cup salsa (optional)
In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown the ground beef. Season with chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper. Remove from heat when beef is cooked through.
In a large salad bowl, toss together the lettuce, tomato, Cheddar cheese, cilantro and pinto beans with their juice. Mix in the ground beef and corn chips. Toss in the jalapeno, green onion, and salsa, if desired.