Chicken, cottage cheese, Parmesan and a creamy, cheesy sauce layer with noodles--no tomatoes in this nontraditional lasagna.
INGREDIENTS (for 9 servings):
- 8 lasagna noodles
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup chopped pimento peppers
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 3 cups diced, cooked chicken meat
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 (10.75 ounce) cans condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1 (6 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 (16 ounce) package creamed, small curd cottage cheese
- 2 cups shredded processed cheese
Cook noodles in a large pot of boiling water until done. Rinse, and drain. Set aside.
In a medium saucepan, saute green pepper and onions in butter or margarine over medium heat. Stir in undiluted soup, milk, mushrooms, pasteurized cheese, pimento, and basil.
Place half of the noodles in 13 x 7 x 2 inch baking dish. Layer with half of the cream sauce, 1/2 cottage cheese, 1/2 diced chicken, and 1/2 Parmesan cheese. Repeat layers.
Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 45 minutes.