This soup uses both quick-cooking split peas and dry whole peas, which require an overnight soak. A delicious combination of seasonings, salt pork, and vegetables round out this satisfying creation.
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 1 1/2 cups dry whole peas
- 2 quarts water
- 1 cup dry split peas
- 2 tablespoons vegetable base
- 12 ounces salt pork
- 2 onions, minced
- 3 small carrots, shredded
- 3 small carrots, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dried chives
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dried savory
- salt and pepper to taste
Place the dry whole peas in a pot with enough water to cover, and soak 8 hours or overnight.
Drain soaked peas, and return to the pot. Cover with 2 quarts water. Mix in the dry split peas, vegetable base, salt pork, onions, carrots, chives, savory, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer 2 hours, until peas are tender. Remove and discard the salt pork before serving.