This hearty soup is made with canned black beans, salsa and tomatoes cooked in beef broth with slices of hot beef sausage.
INGREDIENTS (for 5 servings):
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, undrained
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1 (10.5 ounce) can condensed beef broth
- 1/2 cup chunky salsa
- 1/2 cup water
- 12 ounces beef sausage
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
In a large saucepan over medium heat, combine the oil, onions and garlic. Saute for 8 minutes, or until tender. Add the beans, tomatoes with liquid, broth, salsa and water. Bring to a boil over high heat.
Cut sausage into 1/2 inch slices and stir into soup. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Ladle soup into bowls and sprinkle with cilantro.