Here is a traditional orange sauce to serve with any holiday duck dinner.
INGREDIENTS (for 2 servings):
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup dates, pitted and chopped
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped prunes
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mace
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
In a saucepan over medium-high heat, combine the stock, wine and orange juice. Bring to a boil and add the dates and prunes. Allow fruit to partially dissolve.
Reduce heat, add mace, cinnamon, ginger, sugar and vinegar. Cook for another 5 minutes; remove from heat and allow to cool. Puree in a blender or food processor until smooth.
Pour over duck while roasting or serve on the side.