Beef stew meat and sauerkraut are simmered with cubed potatoes in beer seasoned with paprika, caraway seed and dill. Serve sprinkled with minced parsley.
INGREDIENTS (for 4 servings):
- 1 pound beef stew meat, diced into 1 inch pieces
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups beer
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 potatoes, cubed
- 1 ounce sauerkraut
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill weed
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
In a Dutch oven, cook meat and onion in hot oil until meat is brown.
Stir in beer, water, tomato paste, paprika, salt, caraway seed, and pepper. Cover, and simmer 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours.
Add potatoes, undrained sauerkraut, and fresh dill to soup. Cover. Cook for about 20 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
Cook uncovered for 10 minutes more, or until mixture is thickened and most of the liquid is evaporated. Sprinkle parsley on top before serving.