Slices of polish sausage and sauerkraut are combined with a soup base of stewed tomatoes, onion, green pepper and rice in this recipe for a hearty stew.
INGREDIENTS (for 7 servings):
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 (28 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked long-grain white rice
- 1 (20 ounce) can sauerkraut with juice
- 1 pound kielbasa sausage, sliced thin
- salt and pepper to taste
In a large pot over medium heat, saute the onion and green bell pepper in the oil for 5 to 10 minutes, or until the onion is translucent.
Pour in the tomatoes, water and rice. Raise heat to high and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes.
Stir in the sauerkraut and sausage, stirring thoroughly, and let simmer for 20 more minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.