Red and yellow bell peppers, Italian sausage and a happy splash of Marsala wine flavor this substantial simmer of onion, garlic, zucchini, mushrooms, oregano, red pepper flakes, and chicken stock. Add peas at the last minute and serve with cooked pasta.
INGREDIENTS (for 3 servings):
- 1 (8 ounce) package penne pasta
- 1/2 pound spicy Italian sausage
- 1/4 red onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup Marsala wine
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 1/2 cup fresh sliced mushrooms
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1/4 cup blanched green peas
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
In a large pot with boiling salted water cook penne pasta until al dente. Drain.
Meanwhile, in a large skillet cook sausage until brown. Remove from pan. Saute the red onion and garlic in the olive oil until soft and transparent. Add the oregano, salt, ground black pepper, red pepper flakes, 1/2 of the wine, yellow bell pepper, red bell pepper, zucchini, mushrooms, and saute until tender. Add remaining wine and chicken stock and cook until liquid has reduced to a thick sauce, about 20 minutes.
After sauce has reduced, add cooked sausage and thawed peas to the sauce and stir to heat through.
Toss pasta with the sauce to coat evenly. Sprinkle with the grated Parmesan cheese. Serve warm.