This wonderful sausage stuffing is bursting with the flavors of fresh herbs, cranberries, orange, and walnuts.
INGREDIENTS (for 1 servings):
- 1/2 (12 ounce) package fresh cranberries
- 1 pound sausage
- 6 cups bread cubes
- 1 cup seasoned dry bread crumbs
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh sage
- 1 pinch fresh thyme
- 1/3 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup chopped orange with skin on
Place cranberries in a medium saucepan with enough water to cover, and bring to a boil. Cook just until skins pop. Drain, and cool.
Place sausage in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain, and cool.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
In a medium baking dish, mix cranberries, sausage, bread cubes, dry bread crumbs, onion, and garlic. Season with parsley, oregano, sage, thyme, celery seed, ground ginger, salt, and pepper. Stir in chicken broth to desired consistency. Mix in walnuts and orange.
Bake 25 minutes in the preheated oven, until surface is crisp and lightly browned.