A one pot dinner with sausage, cabbage, and root vegetables - Easy and hearty - Great on a cold winter night!
INGREDIENTS (for 1 servings):
- 2 1/2 pounds smoked sausage
- 2 pounds ham hocks
- 4 large potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 1 rutabaga, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 6 turnips, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 6 carrots, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 2 onions, cut into large chunks
- 1 large head cabbage, quartered
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper, or to taste
- 1 quart water
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add sausage and ham hocks, and cook for 10 to 15 minutes (to reduce the amount of fat). Drain, and set aside.
In a large pot, arrange potatoes, rutabaga, turnips, carrots and onions. Quarter cabbage with core intact, and add to pot. Season with salt and pepper. Place sausage and ham hocks on top. Pour in water. Seal pot with aluminum foil, then cover with a tight fitting lid.
Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 30 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.