Stuffing mix is transformed into a remarkable holiday delight with the addition of a pork sausage and apple mixture.
INGREDIENTS (for 1 servings):
- 1/2 pound ground pork breakfast sausage
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 (4 ounce) can water chestnuts, drained and chopped
- 1 (12 ounce) package herb-seasoned dry bread stuffing mix
- 3 apples - peeled, cored and cubed
- 1 tablespoon chicken broth
Place ground pork breakfast sausage in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain and set aside.
Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in celery, onion and water chestnuts. Cook and stir until tender. Remove from heat.
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
Prepare herb-seasoned dry bread stuffing mix according to package directions. Mix in sausage, celery mixture, apples and chicken broth.
Transfer mixture to a medium baking dish. Bake in the preheated oven 30 minutes, or until lightly browned.