This cornbread and sausage dressing is perfect for a Kwanzaa gathering or any special occasion. Apples give it a sweetness and add to the moisture.
INGREDIENTS (for 1 servings):
- 2 (8 ounce) packages corn bread mix
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 pound spicy pork sausage
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 apples, cored and chopped
- 4 stalks celery, diced
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons rubbed sage
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
Bake cornbread according to package directions. Cool and crumble into a large bowl.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook sausage until brown and crumbly, remove from the skillet but keep the oil in the pan. Add onions, apples and celery; cook stirring occasionally until tender, about 5 minutes.
Toss the cooked mixture and the sausage into the bowl with the crumbled cornbread. Stir in the chicken broth and melted butter. Season with parsley, sage, thyme, rosemary salt and pepper. Blend well and press into a 9x13 inch baking dish.
Bake in the preheated oven for 35 to 45 minutes.