This savory bread pudding made with tomatoes, fresh basil, and Monterey Jack cheese is great for parties or simply any occasion.
INGREDIENTS (for 1 servings):
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup white Zinfandel wine
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 (1 pound) loaf day-old bread, cubed
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Grease a 9x13 inch baking dish, or one of similar size.
In a small saucepan, combine the raisins, wine, brown sugar, tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, basil and cayenne pepper. Simmer over medium-low heat for 10 minutes.
In a large skillet, melt butter. Toss the bread cubes in the butter to coat, then toss with Monterey Jack cheese, and transfer to the prepared baking dish. Pour the tomato mixture over the bread.
Bake for 25 to 30 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the top is nicely toasted.