A layered lemon and orange gelatin salad with crushed pineapple, marshmallows and a custard layer topped with sliced bananas and toasted coconut.
INGREDIENTS (for 1 servings):
- 1 (3 ounce) package lemon flavored gelatin mix
- 1 (3 ounce) package orange flavored gelatin mix
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 (20 ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 (16 ounce) package miniature marshmallows
- 2 cups pineapple juice
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 bananas, sliced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 (1.3 ounce) envelopes whipped topping mix
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup shredded coconut, toasted
In a large bowl, combine the lemon and orange gelatin powders and add the boiling water. Stir until the powders are dissolved, then stir the drained pineapple and marshmallows into the mixture and chill until firm.
While the gelatin mixture is chilling, whisk together the pineapple juice, sugar, eggs and flour in a medium saucepan and cook over medium heat until thick. Stir constantly and do not allow mixture to scorch. Remove from heat and let before spreading over the congealed gelatin mixture.
Toss the sliced bananas with the lemon juice to prevent browning of the fruit. Drain the fruit and layer the sliced bananas over the custard mixture.
Mix the whipped topping mix as directed on the packages and beat in the cream cheese until smooth. Spread over the bananas and sprinkle with the toasted coconut. Chill for several hours before serving.