A fresh tasting Asian-inspired kabob. Preparation time: 20 minutes. This recipe is from The WEBB Cooks, articles and recipes by Robyn Webb, courtesy of the American Diabetes Association.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 1 pound large shrimp - peeled and deveined
- 1/2 pound scallops
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 fresh pineapple - peeled, cored and cut into wedges
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger root
- 3 tablespoons light soy sauce
If using wooden skewers, soak 6 of them in warm water for 15 minutes. This prevents the skewers from catching on fire while the kabobs cook. Then thread the shrimp, scallops, peppers, and pineapple on the skewers.
Make the basting sauce: In a medium-size mixing bowl, combine rice vinegar, sesame oil, ginger, and soy sauce. Mix well.
Prepare an outside grill with an oiled rack set 4 inches above the heat source. Place the skewers on the grill and baste with some of the sauce. Grill kabobs for about 5 to 6 minutes total, turning and basting with the sauce while grilling. Heat remaining basting sauce until warm and serve on the side.