A cheesy scalloped cabbage and ham casserole. Great for potlucks. A bag of slaw can be substituted for the cabbage.
INGREDIENTS (for 4 servings):
- 1 medium head cabbage, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups cooked ham, diced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup processed American cheese
- 2 tablespoons dry bread crumbs
Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C).
Steam cabbage and onion in a small amount of water until tender. Add the ham. Place into a buttered baking dish.
In a skillet, melt butter over low heat. Stir in flour until smooth. Add milk, stirring until smooth. Add salt, cheese and stir until melted. Pour over the cabbage mixture. Sprinkle with bread crumbs and dot with butter. Bake for 30 minutes.