Cubes of beef and potato are baked together in a mushroom soup and sour cream mixture, and topped with Cheddar cheese and wheat cereal.
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 3/4 inch pieces
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup water
- 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 large potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 1/4 cups whole wheat flake cereal, crumbled
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
In a large skillet over high heat, melt the shortening and quickly brown the ground beef with the onion. Stir in water and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes.
In a medium bowl, thoroughly mix the condensed cream of mushroom soup, sour cream, milk, salt and pepper. Set aside.
Pour meat mixture into a 9x13 inch baking dish. Arrange potatoes over the meat. Pour soup mixture over the potatoes. Sprinkle with Cheddar cheese. Top with whole wheat flake cereal.
Bake in preheated oven, uncovered, for 1 1/2 hours.