This flavorful stew is seasoned with chili powder and orange juice concentrate.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3/4 cup julienned green bell pepper
- 3/4 cup julienned sweet red or yellow pepper
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced onion
- 8 ounces orange roughy or red snapper fillets, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 ounces uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3/4 cup orange juice concentrate
In a saucepan, bring broth to a boil. Add the rice, chili powder and garlic; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until rice is tender. Add the tomatoes, peppers and onion. Cover and cook over medium heat until vegetables are tender. Add fish, shrimp and orange juice concentrate. Cover and simmer for 2-4 minutes or until the fish flakes easily with a fork and the shrimp turn pink.
Nutritional Analysis: One serving (1 cup) equals 208 calories, 2 g fat (trace saturated fat), 36 mg cholesterol, 578 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 13 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable.© 2002 Reiman Media Group, Inc.