This is an easy salad to prepare and you can vary the ingredients depending upon what is freshest at the market. The dressing is fat-free Italian, and is tossed with the cucumbers, tomatoes, mushrooms, red onion, and eggs, along with the chopped lettuce a
INGREDIENTS (for 4 servings):
- 1 head iceberg lettuce - rinsed, dried, and chopped
- 1 bunch fresh spinach - rinsed, dried and torn into bite-size pieces
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 red onion, diced
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 4 eggs
- 1 cucumber, cleaned and diced
- 2 cups fat free Italian-style dressing
- 1/4 cup melba toast, crumbled
Place eggs in a saucepan and cover completely with cold water. Bring water to a boil. Cover, remove from heat, and let eggs stand in hot water for 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from hot water, cool, peel and chop.
In a large salad bowl, combine the lettuce, spinach, tomatoes, red onion, mushrooms, eggs and cucumbers.
Pour enough salad dressing to coat; toss and serve with fat-free croutons or melba toast.