My mother-in-law, Sherry, comes up with the best soup recipes. She is the 'queen of soup'! One of our family favorites is this hearty, rich and delicious soup. A nice green salad on the side rounds out a perfect meal.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 4 cups fat-free chicken broth
- 2 (4.5 ounce) cans diced green chile peppers, drained
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken meat
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 minced chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, or to taste
- 1 cup cooked white rice
- 1 pinch salt and pepper to taste
- 1 avocado - peeled, pitted and sliced
- 1 cup diced Monterey Jack cheese
Pour broth into a soup pot, or large saucepan, and bring to a simmer. Add the chile peppers, chicken, garbanzo beans, oregano, chipotle peppers, rice, salt and pepper. Return to a simmer, and cook for 30 minutes. If the soup is too thick, you can add a little more broth. Ladle into serving bowls, and top with sliced avocado and cheese cubes.