Bite-size chicken breast pieces spend the night luxuriating in a low fat, Middle Eastern marinade before being baked or skewered and barbequed. They taste great with pita bread and some pickled turnips.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons plain low-fat yogurt
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon curry powder (optional)
- 3 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cut into bite-size pieces
- Dipping Sauce:
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
In a medium bowl, stir together oil, yogurt, ketchup, and mustard. Season with garlic powder, paprika, allspice, black pepper, cinnamon, and curry powder. Stir in chicken pieces, coating all sides with marinade. Cover bowl, and refrigerate overnight.
To make dipping sauce, mix together mayonnaise, yogurt, garlic, and salt. Cover, and refrigerate.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
Transfer chicken pieces to a shallow baking dish. Bake in a preheated oven 30 minutes.