Fried shrimp cakes are made with crackers and onion. This recipe includes jalapenos and Tabasco® sauce to add a little kick--very flavorful!
INGREDIENTS (for 4 servings):
- 1 pound shrimp - peeled, deveined and chopped
- 1 1/4 cups coarsely crushed buttery round crackers
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon prepared yellow mustard
- 10 dashes hot pepper sauce (e.g. Tabasco™)
- celery salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese
- 1 quart oil for frying
In a medium bowl, combine the shrimp, crackers, onion and jalapeno. Stir in the mayonnaise and mustard, and season with Tabasco and celery salt. Mix in Parmesan cheese. Form into 8 patties.
Heat about 1/2 inch of oil in a deep heavy skillet over medium-high heat. When oil is nice and hot, fry the patties for about 5 minutes per side, or until golden brown.