A wonderful casserole chock-full of rice, vegetables, shrimp and chili powder! It's great to bring to potlucks.
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 2 cups water
- 1 1/4 cups uncooked white rice
- 2 onions, diced
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 5 carrots, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 1/2 cups diced celery
- 1 zucchini, sliced
- 1 (15 ounce) can seasoned tomato sauce
- 1 (16 ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes, crushed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 (4 ounce) jar chopped pimento peppers
- 1 1/2 pounds cooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
In a saucepan bring salted water to a boil. Add rice, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
Saute the mushrooms, carrots, onions, green pepper, celery, and zucchini in butter until tender. Add all the tomatoes, tomato sauce, pimientos, and shrimp. Stir in rice and chili powder. Pour mixture into a 9x13 inch casserole dish.
Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 1 hour.