Try this very popular Thai dish, good for lunch, supper or anytime you crave something exotic with a little tang!
INGREDIENTS (for 4 servings):
- 1 pound dried rice vermicelli
- 2 cups bean sprouts, divided
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 10 unpeeled, large fresh shrimp
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1 tablespoon Asian fish sauce (nuoc mam or nam pla)
- 1 tablespoon Ketchup
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 tablespoon chopped dry roasted peanuts
- 1 tablespoon crushed dried shrimp
- 1 tablespoon chopped green onions
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 wedges fresh lemon
Place the noodles in a large bowl, and cover with hot water. Soak for 15 minutes. Soak bean sprouts in cold water. Drain just before using.
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the garlic, and fry until fragrant. Add the shrimp; cook and stir for about 3 minutes. Mix in the sugar, fish sauce and ketchup. Pour in the eggs, and stir for a minute. Add the noodles; stir-fry until they are coated with the sauce. Mix in half of the bean sprouts, and fry until soft.
Place on a serving plate. Set remaining bean sprouts, cilantro and lemon wedges on a separate plate to top individual servings as desired. Sprinkle the noodles with dried shrimp, peanuts, and chili powder. Top with green onion.