Shrimp, rice, and diced tomatoes all simmered in chicken broth and gently kissed with the essence of saffron.
INGREDIENTS (for 4 servings):
- 1/2 cup uncooked white rice
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 pound fresh shrimp, shelled and deveined without tails
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can peeled and diced tomatoes with juice
- 4 saffron threads
In a saucepan bring water to a boil. Add rice and stir. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
In a large skillet over medium heat, saute the garlic and shrimp for about 5 minutes or until pink.
Pour in broth, tomatoes and saffron; bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Stir in 2 cups of the cooked rice and reduce heat to low. Cook for an additional 5 minutes.