Ground shrimp, ginger and water chestnuts, spread over bread slices and deep fried to a golden brown.
INGREDIENTS (for 4 servings):
- 1/2 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 slice fresh ginger root, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1/2 cup water chestnuts, drained and chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 slices white bread, crusts trimmed
- 3 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 3 cups oil for deep frying
In a medium skillet, heat the 3 cups of oil to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C).
In a food processor, combine the shrimp, ginger, garlic and water chestnuts; grind to a paste. Add salt, pepper, sherry, egg white and baking soda. Process until smooth.
Cut each slice of trimmed bread into quarters, forming 4 triangles each. Divide the shrimp mixture over each piece of bread; sprinkle with sesame seeds.
Deep fry shrimp toast until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
We have determined the nutritional value of oil for frying based on a retention value of 10% after cooking. The exact amount may vary depending on cook time and temperature, ingredient density, and the specific type of oil used.