Succulent roast of pork that has been cooked slowly with tomatoes, garlic, and pineapple makes a great family meal if served with mashed potato and green vegetables of your choice.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary, divided
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 (4 pound) bone-in pork shoulder roast, trimmed of excess fat
- 5 small garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
- 1 (14.4 ounce) can diced plum tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can pineapple chunks, drained
- 1 large Vidalia onion, thinly sliced
- salt and pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over a medium heat. Stir in 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary and sage. Place roast in the skillet, and turn to brown on all sides. Transfer to a roasting pan.
Pierce holes in top of roast using small knife, and insert garlic slices. Pour tomatoes, pineapple, and onion slices over the roast. Sprinkle with remaining rosemary, salt, and pepper.
Cover and cook in the preheated oven for 30 minutes. Lower oven temperature to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C), and continue to cook 2 hours or until internal temperature of roast reaches a minimum of 160 degrees F (70 degrees C).