Add your favorite toppings to suit your family's taste. Note: For thinner crust, divide dough in half; press onto 2 (12-inch) round pizza pans. Proceed with recipe as directed. Traditionally, this recipe is made in a rectangular shape.
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 (.25 ounce) envelope active dry yeast
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 1/2 cups warm water (100 to 110 degrees)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Toppings: chopped onion, green or red bell pepper rings, shredded mozzarella cheese, shredded Parmesan cheese, shredded fresh basil
- Garnish: fresh rosemary sprigs
COMBINE 2 cups flour, yeast, and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt in a large mixing bowl; stir in 1 1/2 cups warm water and vegetable oil.
BEAT at low speed with an electric mixer for 1 to 2 minutes; beat at high speed 3 minutes. Gradually stir in enough remaining flour to make dough stiff.
TURN dough out onto a well-floured surface, and knead until smooth and elastic (about 5 minutes). Place in a well-greased bowl, turning to grease top.
COVER and let rise in a warm place (85 degrees), free from drafts, 1 hour or until doubled in bulk.
PUNCH dough down, and press onto a lightly greased 12-inch round pizza pan or into a 15- x 10-inch jellyroll pan.
COVER and let rise in a warm place, free from drafts, 45 minutes or until doubled in bulk.
SAUTE onion and garlic in hot olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until tender. Add remaining 1 teaspoon salt, tomatoes, and next 6 ingredients.
BRING to a boil; cook, covered, over medium heat 10 minutes. Spoon sauce over dough.
BAKE at 475 degrees for 20 minutes. Sprinkle evenly with desired toppings; bake 10 to 15 more minutes. Garnish, if desired.
Reprinted with permission of Southern Living® magazine. All rights reserved.