Italian sausage browned with fennel seeds is the beginning of this tomato and chicken broth soup with ditalini pasta.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 pound Italian sausage
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1/8 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 3 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup ditalini pasta
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
In a large pot over medium heat, heat the olive oil. Stir in sausage, onion and fennel seeds and cook until sausage is brown, 10 minutes. Stir in carrots and celery and continue to cook and stir until vegetables begin to color, 5 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, parsley, basil and chicken broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes, until vegetables are tender.
Stir in pasta, salt and pepper, cook until pasta is tender, 10 minutes more. Serve topped with grated Parmesan.