The Romano and Parmesan cheeses in this sauce give it a rich, hearty flavor. The cheese are simmered with sauteed garlic, tomatoes and herbs.
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomato puree
- 2 1/2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 2 1/2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 1/4 cup grated Romano cheese
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Saute garlic until aromatic and tender. Stir in crushed tomatoes, tomato puree, oregano, parsley, Romano cheese, Parmesan cheese, bay leaves and onion powder. Reduce heat to low and simmer for at least 40 minutes.