Round steak is cut into strips and sauteed with onions, then simmered for an hour with mushroom soup, sliced mushrooms, and sherry, and served over rice.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless round steak
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1/2 cup sherry
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 1 (4.5 ounce) can mushrooms, drained, liquid reserved
- 1 cup white rice
- 2 cups water
Cut steak into thin strips. In a large heavy skillet, on high heat, brown meat in oil. Add onions. Saute until tender.
Blend soup, sherry, liquid from mushrooms, and garlic salt. Pour over steak. Add mushrooms. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 1 hour or until steak is tender. Meanwhile, cook the rice.
To cook rice: In a saucepan, bring 2 cups of water to a boil. Stir in 1 cup of rice. Cover and reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer for 20 minutes.