This is a dark red, spicy meat chili made with browned ground beef, tomato paste, crushed chili peppers, cinnamon and allspice. Serve over cooked pasta with a generous sprinkling of grated Colby cheese.
INGREDIENTS (for 4 servings):
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 2 onions, minced
- 35 black peppercorns
- 6 bay leaves, crushed
- 4 whole dried red chile peppers, seeded and diced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 3 cups water
- 4 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 2 1/2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shredded Colby cheese
Brown ground beef in skillet with onions. Drain fat.
Place the whole peppercorns, bay leaves, small red peppers, and crushed red pepper in a spice bag.
In a large pot combine the garlic, tomato paste, water, chili powder, ground red pepper, vinegar, cinnamon, allspice, Worcestershire sauce and salt with the ground beef, onions and spice bag. Cook over low heat for 3 to 4 hours.
When ready to serve, don't forget to remove spice bag and whole garlic cloves.