A pound of any variety of dried beans soaked overnight and meaty soup bones are the base for this hearty stew seasoned with garlic powder, celery seed and paprika.
INGREDIENTS (for 9 servings):
- 1 (16 ounce) package dried navy beans
- 1 meaty beef roast bone
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans peeled and diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups red wine
- 3 tablespoons dried minced onion flakes
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon celery seed
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- water to cover
Soak the beans in water overnight, rinse well and drain.
In a slow cooker, combine the soaked beans, meat bones, tomatoes, red wine, parsley, paprika, celery seed, bay leaves, seasoned salt, garlic powder, sugar, ground black pepper and crushed red pepper flakes. Add water to cover.
Cook on low setting for 3 to 4 hours, or until beans are tender. Remove the bones and strip and shred any meat from the bones. Discard the bones and return the meat to the slow cooker. Allow to heat through.