Stuffing from scratch--just some herbs, bread crumbs chopped celery and onion, bread crumbs--slow cooks with boiled chicken and a creamy mushroom sauce in this tried and true family dinner.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - boiled
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup butter
- 13 cups white bread cubes, baked until slightly dry
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 1/2 cups reserved cooking liquid from chicken
- 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup chopped celery
FOR DRESSING: Combine the onion, butter or margarine, bread cubes, poultry seasoning, salt, sage, pepper, reserved cooking liquid, mushroom soup and celery. Mix well.
In a slow cooker, layer the cooked chicken and dressing mixture. Cook on low for 4 to 8 hours. Serve.