A wonderful Italian neighbor showed me how to make this recipe after I commented on how good it made the neighborhood smell when she had her windows open when she made it. This American-Italian term refers to food prepared 'hunter-style,' with mushrooms,
INGREDIENTS (for 4 servings):
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 4 boneless pork chops
- 1 (28 ounce) jar pasta sauce
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and sliced into strips
- 1 (8 ounce) package fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 4 slices mozzarella cheese
In a large skillet, brown chops over medium-high heat. Transfer to slow cooker.
In the same pan, cook onion in oil over medium heat until browned. Stir in mushrooms and bell pepper, and cook until these vegetables are soft. Mix in pasta sauce, diced tomatoes, and white wine. Season with Italian seasoning, basil, and garlic. Pour over pork chops in slow cooker.
Cook on Low for 7 to 8 hours. To serve, place a slice of cheese over each chop, and cover with sauce.