Soybeans are slow cooked with tomatoes, onion, okra, olives, corn, Parmesan cheese, red wine and herbs. This sauce freezes well. For optimum flavor use dried soya, if available.
INGREDIENTS (for 1 servings):
- 2 cups dried soybeans
- 4 large tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 pound okra, chopped
- 1 cup pitted green olives
- 1 cup pitted black olives
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 3 (14.5 ounce) cans peeled and diced tomatoes
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup red wine
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 (11 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons dried basil
- 4 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- salt to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
Cover soybeans with water and soak for several hours, or overnight.
In a slow cooker combine soybeans, tomatoes, onion, okra, green olives, black olives, tomato paste, chopped tomatoes, Parmesan cheese, wine, olive oil, corn, oregano, basil, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Mix well.
Cook on low for 12 to 24 hours, stirring occasionally.