Slow cooking brings out the full flavors from onion, garlic, spinach and other veggies and Italian-style herbs.
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup grated carrot
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 2 2/3 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 1 (4.5 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons dried basil
- 2 1/2 tablespoons crushed red pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 (28 ounce) can peeled and crushed tomatoes, with liquid
In a 5 quart slow cooker, combine olive oil, onion, garlic, carrot, spinach, tomato paste, mushrooms, salt, oregano, basil, crushed red pepper, bay leaves and tomatoes.
Cover and cook on high for 4 hours. Stir, reduce heat to low and cook for 1 to 2 hours more.