Fruit filled cake topped with whip cream. Yummy! My Mom, Corina Compagner, has been making this recipe for Christmas for over 30 years.
INGREDIENTS (for 1 servings):
- 1 cup dates, pitted and chopped
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup white sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 5 oranges, peeled and cut into 5 or 6 pieces
- 3 bananas, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour an 8 inch pan.
In a medium bowl, beat together the eggs and 1 cup of sugar. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt, stir into the egg mixture. Then, stir in the dates, walnuts and vanilla. Pour into the prepared pan.
Bake for 25 to 30 minutes in the preheated oven. Cool on the pan on a wire rack. When the cake is cooled, break into bite sized pieces. Stir the cake pieces together with the oranges, bananas and remaining sugar. Press into a medium sized bowl and chill for several hours.
Invert cake onto a serving plate. Whip the heavy cream with the confectioners; sugar and vanilla until stiff. Spread over the entire cake.