This is a festive dish of rice layered with chow mein noodles, chicken gravy, tomatoes, celery, green pepper, green onion, pineapple, cheese, almonds, coconut and pimentos.
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 2 cups uncooked long-grain rice
- 2 (10.75 ounce) cans condensed cream of chicken soup
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 (5 ounce) cans chow mein noodles
- 3 tomatoes, sliced
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1 (20 ounce) can pineapple chunks, drained
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1/2 (4 ounce) jar diced pimento peppers, drained
In a saucepan bring 4 cups water to a boil. Add rice and stir. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine chicken soup and broth. Stir and simmer for 8 to 10 minutes, or until heated through.
On 8 plates layer cooked rice, chow mein noodles, chicken soup mixture, tomatoes, celery, green pepper, green onion, pineapple, cheese and more chicken soup mixture. Top with almonds, coconut and pimentos.