Cooking low fat is important to me. I developed this stuffing recipe when my father had surgery and needed to go on a low fat diet. Chicken broth and fat free butter flavored granules provide traditional holiday flavor and keep the stuffing moist.
INGREDIENTS (for 2 servings):
- 1/2 cup fat free butter flavored granules
- 2 (14.25 ounce) cans fat-free, reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups diced celery
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups diced fresh mushrooms
- 8 ounces Italian-style dry bread crumbs
- 8 ounces dry bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons salt-free herb and spice blend
In a large skillet over medium heat, combine the fat free butter flavored granules and 1 cup chicken broth. Heat until boiling. Mix in the celery, onion and mushrooms. Slowly cook and stir 5 minutes, or until vegetables are soft.
Place the Italian-style bread crumbs and regular bread crumbs in a large bowl. Blend in the chicken broth mixture. Pour in remaining chicken broth and salt-free herb and spice blend. Mix thoroughly.
Stuff the Thanksgiving bird or bake in a cake pan at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for approximately 15 minutes.