This is a vegetarian soup containing barley, rice, and potatoes in a broth filled with a wide variety of fresh garden vegetables ranging from onions and carrots to green beans, petite peas, and broccoli florets.
INGREDIENTS (for 1 servings):
- 12 cups water
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes, mashed
- 1/4 cup pearl barley
- 1/4 cup uncooked white rice
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 large stalk celery, with leaves, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh green beans, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 large potato, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup frozen petite peas, thawed
- 1/2 cup broccoli florets
- 1/4 cup barley flakes
In a large stock pot, add water and 2 large potatoes, peeled and quartered. Bring to boil, then add mashed tomatoes. Cook for 10 minutes, add barley and rice and cook until potatoes are tender.
Remove potatoes and mash together with margarine, set aside.
Add salt, pepper, carrots and beans and cook for 10 minutes or until carrots are tender.
Add onions, cubed potatoes, celery, peas and broccoli and cook for 5 minutes.
Add the mashed potatoes and stir. Add barley flakes and cook for an additional 5 minutes and serve.