A comfort food classic, updated to be South Beach Diet-friendly.
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 1 (6 ounce) can no-salt-added tomato paste
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 16 ounces ground turkey breast
- 1 cup old-fashioned oatmeal
- 1/4 cup liquid egg substitute
- 1/2 cup shredded zucchini
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Combine the tomato paste, wine, water, garlic, basil, oregano, and salt in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low. Simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Set aside.
Combine the turkey, oatmeal, egg substitute, zucchini, and 1/2 cup of the tomato mixture in a large bowl. Mix well. Shape into a loaf and place into an ungreased 8" x 4" loaf pan. Bake for 45 minutes. Discard any drippings. Pour 1/2 cup of the remaining tomato mixture over the top of the loaf. Bake for an additional 15 minutes.
Place on a serving platter. Cool for 10 minutes before slicing. Serve the remaining tomato sauce on the side.
This recipe is optimal for Phase 2 of the South Beach Diet.