A spicy red sauce with plenty of beef, garlic and mushrooms.
INGREDIENTS (for 9 servings):
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 2 (15 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 4 tablespoons dried oregano
- 4 tablespoons dried basil leaves
- 3 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons red pepper flakes
- 2 (4.5 ounce) cans mushrooms, drained
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons salt
In a large pot heat olive oil. Add onions and simmer on medium heat until semi soft; stir in garlic. Be careful not to burn. Add ground beef and cook until all pink is gone; drain.
In pot with drained beef, gently stir in tomato paste and tomato sauce. Mix in oregano, basil, Worcestershire sauce, sugar, red pepper flakes, mushrooms, bay leaves and salt; bring to a boil. Turn heat down to low and simmer for about 2 hours.