Tangy dill and buttermilk highlight the dressing for a special chicken salad tossed with grapes, celery and cashews.
INGREDIENTS (for 4 servings):
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1/4 cup minced green onions
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 sprig fresh dill weed
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups seedless grapes
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- 8 leaves red leaf lettuce - rinsed
- 1/2 cup chopped salted cashews
- 5 sprigs fresh dill weed, for garnish
TO MAKE DRESSING: Whisk the mayonnaise, green onions, buttermilk, dill and ground black pepper in a small bowl to blend (can be made 1 day ahead). Cover and chill.
TO MAKE SALAD: Arrange the chicken in a heavy, medium size skillet. Add the wine, dill and ground black pepper. Season with salt. If necessary, add water to cover the chicken. Simmer over medium low heat until chicken is just cooked through, turning once (about 11 minutes). Transfer chicken to a plate and let cool.
Cut chicken into 1/2 inch pieces. Place in a large bowl. Add the grapes and the celery and mix in the dressing to thoroughly coat the mixture. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover and refrigerate for at least 20 minutes to develop the flavors. (Can be prepared up to 3 hours ahead).
Arrange the lettuce leaves on plates, mound on the salad and sprinkle with nuts. Garnish with fresh dill and serve.