This stick-to-your ribs recipe promises plenty of satisfying flavor sure to tickle your taste buds. No need to worry about the ample quantity; keep extra portions under wraps in the freezer.
INGREDIENTS (for 1 servings):
- 1 (3 pound) whole chicken
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 (16 ounce) cans whole peeled tomatoes, undrained and chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup water
- 1 pound red potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 (16 ounce) can baked beans
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (16 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 (16 ounce) can lima beans, drained
COOK chicken in a large Dutch oven in boiling water to cover 45 minutes or until done.
REMOVE chicken from broth, reserving broth for another use. Cool chicken. Skin, bone, and chop chicken.
SAUTE onion and bell pepper in hot oil in Dutch oven until tender. Add chicken, tomato, and next 4 ingredients.
COMBINE flour and 1 cup water, whisking until smooth. Stir into chicken mixture. Add potato and next 5 ingredients.
COVER and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, 20 to 30 minutes. Add corn and lima beans, and cook 10 minutes.
Reprinted with permission of Southern Living® magazine. All rights reserved.